General Summary: To oversee the selection, pricing, development, and promotion of all products company-wide. Direct and assist Department Managers.
Status: Reports to General Manager. Works closely with Owners.
Compensation: Starts at $60k - Based on Experience. Includes 20% store discount, medical, dental, gain sharing, 401(k) plan.
- Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality, promotions and delivery. Consider volume discounts, EDLP, Monthly Sales, Impact Sales,
- Weekend Sales, etc.
- Oversight of Fresh Departments, including produce, meat and foodservice.
- Evaluate suppliers and investigate new sources of supply including direct buying.
- Purchase for special deals and promotions. Ensure adequate supply of promoted product.
- Set pricing for the departments to meet margin goals.
- Assist in required forecasting for all sales, promotions, and holidays.
- Determine which categories or products to add or delete, increase or decrease. Define core sets within categories.
- Oversee the product ordering process and when beneficial, place orders to achieve higher margins and/or alter promotional pricing. Order products to meet customer demand or delegate as needed.
- Achieve margin, sales, and inventory turn goals as set by General Manager and Owners.
- Review invoices and ensure paperwork is being completed properly.
- Coordinate promotion and new product introductions with the General Manager, Owners, and Department Managers.
- Work with distributors on ordering or delivery issues.
- Assist in managing fulfillment rate issues with distributors.
- Manage discontinued item list from distributors with Department Managers.
- Manage New Items to DC list from distributors with Department Managers.
- Work with the General Manager, Owners and Department Managers to plan product mix.
- Review SPINS Data to improve product mix.
- Assist Department Managers with category analysis and resets.
- Act as a consultant for the store and provide product information for promotions and customer inquiries.
- Coordinate periodic price surveys of identified competitors using industry reports and on-sight visits.
- Provide information on new products for customers (blog, employee pick, flyer, social media, etc.).
- Work with Department Managers to coordinate product sampling and effective marketing plan. Coordinate demos with Marketing Manager.
- Oversee, conduct, and participate in inventories when needed.
- Develop monthly merchandising plan and present information to the General Manager, Owners, and Department Managers for implementation.
- Develop point-of-purchase information with Marketing Manager.
Price Verification and File Maintenance
- Work with Department Managers and POS Manager to ensure pricing is appropriately competitive; accurate; and target margins are being met.
- Conduct regularly scheduled price verifications at all stores.
- Maintain list of vendors with current pricing methods of how and who determines prices.
- Handle not-on-file and price discrepancies as top priority.
- Implement and coordinate all price changes with POS Manager.
- Work with POS Manager and Department Managers to ensure that all items are in correct departments.
- Verify price uniformity at both stores.
- Maintain movement reports on items scheduled for deletion for the item file. Audit movement for items which may have unacceptable performance and review with Department Managers for possible deletion.
- Assist accounting office with bill backs and invoicing issues.
Sales and Ads
- Attend merchandising team meetings to plan company-wide promotions.
- Work with General Manager, Owners, Department Managers, and Marketing Manager to develop and implement sales, including EDLP, Monthly Sales, Impact Sales, Weekend Sales, Holidays, etc.
- Maintain sales batches for all departments.
- Run movement reports before and after sales to evaluate success of sales. Make adjustments for following sales.
- Assist in mark-down procedures of damaged and discontinued items.
- Work with management to develop reports for monitoring sales.
- Direct and assist Department Managers.
- Bridge communication gap between Department Managers at each store to align departments better.
- Participate in the hiring, training and performance reviews of store personnel as requested by General Manager. Promote training in safety, sanitation, and customer service.
- Manage all aspects of CCOF Organic Retailer certification, including assisting Department Managers with obtaining required vendor certificates; implementing and following CCOF Standards Guide; and scheduling annual CCOF inspection.
- Experience in purchasing and merchandising retail natural products.
- Knowledge of organic and commercial growing practices and organic certification regulations.
- Knowledge of products and trends in the natural foods (and other products) industry.
- Enthusiasm and motivation for learning and updating product knowledge.
- Knowledge of Grocery Business required.
- At least 5 years of experience as a buyer, retail grocery manager, store manager, or general manager.
- Experience purchasing for Fresh Departments, including produce, meat and foodservice.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel. Experience using computer programs, POS Software, and databases, as well as, internet navigation skills.
- Ability to read and analyze financial statements.
- Supervisory experience – hiring, training, evaluating, directing, motivating.
- Demonstrated leadership skills – delegating, motivating, problem solving.
- Must be able to work well independently – a motivated, self-starter.
- Well-organized, pay special attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work as a positive team member and partner with senior management.
- Ability to project friendly, outgoing personality.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and follow through on commitments in a calm and effective manner.
- Able to maintain an even disposition under stress.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to operate in a strategic, conceptual and innovative manner.
- Ability to develop realistic work plans, goals and schedules.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a variety of constituents.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills – gives clear directions, good listener.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions using good judgement.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work in a refrigerated environment.
Please email Kristi Harwell. You may call at (831) 335-8189 ext 11.